My Top 10 Geometry Songs
I didn't realise when I listed my Top 10 Mathematics Songs that I would alienate so many
enthusiastic (and belligerent) geometers. The hate mail I received!
"Maths is more than numbers!"
"Give shapes a chance!"
And something unprintable about f(x) my own derivative.
To redress the balance and to restore harmony to the Math-iverse, I have listed for everyone,
from all walks of Mathematics, my Top 10 Geometry Songs.
10. Another Pyramid - Elton John
Musical genius-come-mathematician EJ exploring the third dimension.
And what do you buy for the man who has everything?
9. Arc of a Diver - Steve Winwood
An exhibition of magestic beauty
- unless of course it's Greg Louganis in the 1988 Olympics,
in which case it would be the "#$@! of a diver"
8. I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
Don't think that Johnny ever walked in many straight lines but it is much easier
to sing about than "I walk in a random, irregular fashion
following no single purposeful direction"
7. Come Up and Be a Kite - Kate Bush
Not sure what Kate was getting at here but I'm pretty sure there
would have been a funky dance to go with the song
6. Parallel Lines - Kings of Convenience
I've never heard of these guys but they are probably part of some underground alternative Geometry network, pursuing a passion for all things linear - and the song's not bad either
5. Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd
A classic psychedelic 70's prog-rock tribute to quadrilaterals
4. Straight Lines - Silverchair
An arty homage to Piet Mondrian that has been ruined by
too many covers on "Idol"
3. Will the Circle be Unbroken? - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Well, obviously it will be unbroken because otherwise it won't be a closed shape,
ergo not a circle anymore.
Sheesh! State the bleedin' obvious and dress it up
as homespun geometrical philosophy
2. Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order
A classic 80's expression of passion for three-sided shapes.
Nothing bizarre about that.
1. It's Hip to be Square - Huey Lewis and the News
The theme song from the sound track for my life