Thursday 30 April 2015

Maths in Science - That's All There Is

Well, that's all there is from the Maths in Science project. A bit brief, I'm sorry, but there were some real gems in there to consider.


A Few Reflections:


Of the 39 scientists I contacted, I was able to post 6 interviews. Many of the scientists that I contacted were obviously very busy and not available to participate. There were several other scientists who said they would help out but didn't get back to me in time to get it posted. 

I had promised 2 Nobel Prize winners but the second one has gone overseas and is not available any more to share his ideas with us.

I do note the absence of female scientists in my line up. I did contact several but was not successful in getting any to write for the project which is disappointing.

I did also contact several Fields Medal winners. The Fields Medal is like the Mathematics equivalent of a Nobel Prize (there is no Nobel Prize for Maths - it's a long story). Sadly, I could not convince any of them to write for the project.




Highlights



Here are a few comments that stood out to me from the interviews:

Mathematics is simply the language of science.
- Andrew Knoll

I believe we need to rethink how we teach math and not use it to separate students.
- Don Kinard

Learning more maths, even if you don't know exactly how you'll use it, will always turn out to be helpful.
- Jack Szostak

I, most scientists, and all engineers, use math all the time. The more you know, the more you can do.
- George Whitesides 

I hope that you too found some gems to think about.




Once again, thank you to the scientists who participated in the Maths in Science project. It has been an interesting opportunity for us all to hear how these two fields overlap and interact.



 



  



 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments you would like to make?